Reaching Horizons

Kasey Carr

Mackenzie Brown, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Seniors meet to watch sunrise

To kick off the school year, some of the senior class met at the football field on September 22 to watch the sunrise together as a fundraiser. They will have the chance to meet again near the end of the school year at the Senior Sunset.

“It was pretty cool to be the first class to do something like that,” senior Chloe Marsh said.

The group of seniors woke up early to meet at 6:30 in the morning on the track.

“I had to be there at 6:15 to get everything ready,” senior and student council president Kasey Carr said.

White Oak graduate Kristin Koonce, who is now a motivational speaker, attended the event and spoke to the seniors before the sunrise.

“Kristin Koonce came and she talked about making a difference at school and leaving the school better when we leave than when we started,” Carr said.

The event was put together by student council, and every senior that attended paid two dollars to by flowers for the families affected by a car crash in Harmony earlier in the year.

“Me, Sara [Robinson] and Chloe [Marsh] met up at Harmony’s end of the football field right after the first quarter and we met the three girls we were giving the flowers to,” Carr said. “We just exchanged flowers, hugged them and told them we were supporting them.”

Facing the sunrise, a group of seniors stands with their arms around each other. Many students looked forward to seeing Kristin Koonce. “I went to hear Kristin speak,” senior Destinee Aaron said. “She makes my day and she’s very good at motivating people.”