How to Save a Life

Addie Roling, Staff Writer

Students Prepare to Give Blood

Addie Roling   Staff Writer

There will be a blood drive on Friday, September 30, where students ages 16 and above will donate a pint of blood to the Carter Bloodcare center.

“I want to give blood because it is for a good cause and I could possibly save someone’s life because of it,” junior Kate Pullen said.

According to Carter Bloodcare, each blood donation can save up to 3 lives. This donation is called a whole blood donation and a person can donate once every 56 days.

“I usually start drinking water and cut out sodas the Saturday before the blood drive to clean out my system and thicken my blood,” senior Destinee Aaron said. “I eat a big dinner and breakfast before I give blood in order to boost my iron level.”

In order to prepare for the donation it is recommended to drink plenty of water, eat a hearty meal, and to get plenty of rest the night before the donation. Carter Bloodcare also recommends to eat a well balanced meal one to two hours prior to the donation.

“I love being able to help anyone in need so giving blood is one of the ways I give back to the community,” senior America Camacho said.

Before each donation a Carter Bloodcare staff member goes over the person’s health history to make sure they are healthy enough to give blood. They will check temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and blood count.

“I wasn’t able to give blood at the last blood drive due to my iron levels being too low,” senior Sara Robinson said.

Iron is important for making red blood cells and transporting oxygen throughout the body. The loss of red blood cells through the donation may deplete the amount of iron over time so if a person’s iron count is too low they are not able to donate due to medical reasons. The minimum weight of a person to donate is 110 lbs.

“I’m a little nervous because I haven’t given blood in many years so I am anxious to see what it is like,” Pullen said.

To start the donation the donor’s arm is cleaned with an antiseptic then the Carter Bloodcare worker takes the blood with a new sterile needle. This process lasts about 10 minutes.

“This will be my third time giving blood at the school,” Aaron said.

When a student donates blood 4 times, the student receives a red cord to wear at graduation. Many students donate as many times as the school offers in order to get that red cord and to help save people’s lives.

“One of my aunt’s friends had a blood problem and needed blood so I realized that people need blood and that I should help them,” junior Nathan Trotter said