“Back” and Better Than Ever

Junior+Colby+Siegley+bows+his+head+with+his+teammates+before+a+district+game+against+Hughes+Springs.+Siegley+suffered+a+back+injury+early+in+the+season%2C+missing+out+on+all+of+district+action.+
Junior Colby Siegley bows his head with his teammates before a district game against Hughes Springs. Siegley suffered a back injury early in the season, missing out on all of district action.

Colleen Pulpan

Colleen Pulpan

Kason Kienzle, Staff Writer

Returning injured players look to stay healthy

With Friday night lights just around the corner, excitement fills the air of the community. With ticket sales underway, uniforms distributed, and daily practices, Roughnecks can’t wait to get a glimpse of the first touchdown of the season. But what a lot of people don’t know is that many will just be finding their way back to the playing field.
Many football players will be making the return to the football field after coming back from serious back injuries they suffered from the previous year. With the “disease” seeming to have finally left the premises of the boys lockeroom, returning players intend to stay healthy.
“I’m really excited that everyone is entering the season healthy,” senior center Kyle Berry said. “I feel like we can be the most successful when we have everyone together.”
Berry was one of the first athletes that suffered from a back injury. Berry’s fractured back occurred the offseason of his sophomore year and kept him out until the beginning of 2 a days last season.
“Whenever I injured my back, I felt a pop but I kept working through which ended up making it worse,” Berry said. “I’m looking forward to coming into this season healthy and hope to stay healthy the whole year.”
Senior defensive end Elijah Trest suffered last offseason from fractures in his lower back after football season. The injury ultimately kept him out of athletics the entire year, making the Arkansas commit miss baseball season.
“I think what caused my back fractures was overuse and trying to lift too heavy without proper stretching,” Trest said. “Now every time I get in the weight room I focus more on each rep and take things slower. I plan on still going just as hard in football games and am thankful I’m healthy now.”
Senior wide receiver Colby Siegley played in only 4 games last season due to a fractured lower back. During the beginning of the Harmony game last year, Siegley was ruled out for the rest of the year due to back pain, which also turned out to be fractures.
“It feels great knowing that I can start fresh this year healthy,” Siegley said. “Last year I really didn’t take good care of my body, but now I’m stretching and treating my body everyday. I can’t wait for this upcoming season.”
Sophomore Tanner McKinney was another back injury victim who looks to return this season fully healthy. McKinney missed the first half of basketball season last year due to his injury.
“Last year when I started to feel pain in my back I just ignored it,” McKinney said. “That’s what ultimately caused my injury. This year I plan on paying more attention if I ever feel any pain.”
Now that everyone who suffered from the similar injury is back on track, more attention is being paid by athletes in the weight room and on the field. Athletes are starting to find out the true importance of good form in the weight room and being smart off the field as well.
“I think everyone has finally realized the importance of taking care of their body,” Trest said. “Last year taught us that we’re not invincible and that we have to be smart with our bodies. I can’t wait to see our success now that everyone is back ready to go.”