Calling all Mojoes

Victoria Babineaux, Staff Writer

Ah yes, Friday Night Lights at last. Themed spirit days. Pep rallies. Half time shows. Trash talk from visiting teams. The Mojoe section. Wait, record scratch- hold up. Mojoe section? Yes freshmen, you read it correctly. The “Mojoe section” or the student section, call it as you will. It’s your first year to truly experience FNL to its entire potential, I understand. You are confused. My dear fish friends, if you are not involved in the Friday festivities that take place on the field or track, I would strongly recommend participating in our student section. There’s only three rules. Show up. Paint up. Yell loud.

Becoming a Mojoe is simple. Follow @womojoes on Twitter to know where to attend weekly Mojoe practices. Make sure you donate supplies to paint up with, along with noisemakers, trash can lids and money so supplies do not run low.  The only other requirement to officially call yourself a Mojoe is to show up to football games and chant for the Roughnecks. “Being a Mojoe keeps you involved with the game, returning senior MoJoe Cryslan Tucker said. “You are always on your feet.”

I know exactly what you are thinking, ‘What is the actual definition of a mojoe and why would I want to be a part of it?”  Let me educate you further- Mo-jo, plural Mo-jos or Mo-joes An ability or quality that causes one to excel or have good luck. I feel as if the rest can be explained by two infamous words: Go Roughnecks. The entire purpose of the Mojoe section is to support the players and create hype.

“We are a small school and we need as many supporters as possible,” Mojoe leader Layton Anderson said. “If you are not in the Mojoes, where are you other than sitting in the stands with your parents?”

If you’re concerned about looking stupid in the Mojoe section, you’re thinking too much. It is cool to be involved with your school, don’t wait until your junior year to figure this out as I did.

“Freshmen, you just gotta get over yourself,” Anderson said. “Allow yourself to look a little dumb and yell a little too loud. Don’t get too comfortable though, do not stand in the front row of the section if you are not going to participate.”

There is no feeling that compares to Friday Night Lights, make sure you have a way to be a part of it. The Mojoes are crucial this football season. It’s time to reload.