The Online News Site of White Oak High School

The Gauger

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

Roughnecks Ease by the Eagles

White Oak Narrowly Defeats Rival

Sophomore+Bo+Reddic+looks+for+running+room+against+the+New+Diana+defense.+The+Roughnecks+narrowly+escaped+the+Eagles%2C+54-51.+
Sophomore Bo Reddic looks for running room against the New Diana defense. The Roughnecks narrowly escaped the Eagles, 54-51.

Mackenzie Brown

Mackenzie Brown

A last second defensive stand, along with a tremendous passing display from both the White Oak Roughnecks and the New Diana Eagles, reminded us why the rivalry continues to exist between the two as the Roughnecks inch by the Eagles, 54-51.

This game became a shootout early in the first, when senior quarterback Heath Hood ran it in for the first touchdown of the game- the first of many. Freshman kicker Brian Smith booted the PAT through the uprights, giving the Roughnecks an early lead, 7-0.

The Eagles retaliated quickly, with Junior receiver Jacob Choyce taking it to the house on a 51 yard sweep. The PAT soared through the uprights, as Sophomore kicker Andy Prazak evened the score for Eagles, 7-7.

Following a defensive stop, the Eagles regained possession of the ball and again scored, as Prazak kicked a 12 yard field goal with 1:18 remaining in the first, giving the Eagles a lead that would carry over into the second quarter, 7-10.

To start the second quarter, the Roughnecks flew down the field. After 11 plays, Hood connected with Senior receiver Kason Kienzle for a 12 yard pass to top off the drive, followed by the successful PAT by Smith. The Roughnecks regained the lead with 9:51 to go in the half, 14-10.

The Eagles stormed down the field in return. In 6 plays they put up another touchdown after 61 yards on a connection between Senior quarterback Jackson Sampson and Senior receiver TJ Rogers, followed by a successful 2 point conversion, giving the Eagles the lead with 6:21 remaining in the second, 14-18.

On the tenth play of the drive, the Roughnecks scored again after 64 hard earned yards on the QB keeper by Hood, giving the Roughnecks a 2 point lead. The PAT was blocked and returned for 2 points for the Eagles, tying the score, 20-20.

Following a forced punt, the Roughnecks regained possession. Following multiple penalties, the Roughnecks capped off the 68 yard drive with a 1 yard shove into the endzone by Sophomore running back Bo Reddic. The Roughneck 2 point conversion attempt failed, leaving them with a 6 point lead going into halftime, 26-20.

To start the second half, the Eagles scored in 6 plays on a 25 yard touchdown run by Sophomore running back Zane Freeman. The PAT was converted by Prazak, giving the Eagles the lead, 26-27.

The Eagles led another successful drive in the third quarter following a fumble recovery. After a 30 yard drive, the Eagles settled for a 26 yard field goal by Prazak, increasing their lead, 26-30.

The Roughnecks had no trouble answering back, as they travelled 59 yards in just 2 plays to score on a 5 yard keeper by Hood. The PAT was converted by Smith, giving the Roughnecks a slim lead, 33-30.

The Eagles showed no sign of fatigue, as they retaliated with a 2 play drive totaling 79 yards on a pass to Senior receiver Cody Payton for an Eagles touchdown. The PAT was converted by Prazak, giving the Eagles the lead once again, 33-37.

Again, the Roughnecks scored with ease in an 8 yard drive following a fumble recovery, scoring on a 4 yard keeper by Hood. Smith’s PAT soared through the uprights, giving the Roughnecks the lead that would carry over into the fourth, 40-37.

To start the fourth, the Eagles connected on a 30 yard pass from Sampson to Rogers in the corner of the end zone. The PAT was again converted by Prazak, shifting the lead in their favor, 40-44.

The Roughnecks again scored in two plays, traveling 55 yard. The Roughnecks scored on a 15 yard keeper by Hood. Following was the PAT by Smith, giving the Roughnecks another lead, 47-44.

Shortly after, the Eagles connected on another long pass to score a touchdown. Payton received a 34 yard pass from Sampson to score again, followed by the PAT by Prazak, giving the Eagles the lead once more, 47-51.

Again, the score rose as the Roughnecks claimed another touchdown. Hood scored on a 6 yard keeper, juking his way into the end zone. The PAT was converted by Smith, giving the Roughnecks the lead, 54-51.

To end this back and forth game, the Eagles marched down the field. With seconds remaining, Sampson made his way to the one yard line and began his walk into the end zone as time expired, only to find himself sent crashing into the turf by Hood as the Roughnecks prevailed, 54-51.

The Roughnecks will travel to Tyler to face T.K. Gorman in what should be another great night of Texas high school football next Friday night.