The Gauger

Ladynecks Stun Sabine

Kason Kienzle, Sports Editor

Playoff runs are nothing new to the Ladyneck volleyball program. The Ladynecks were able to clinch a bi-district victory against a scrappy Sabine Lady Cardinals team, with sets of 25-15, 15-25, 25-18, and 25-13.

The volleyball team will play Mount Vernon in Mineola on Thursday for the area match.

The Ladynecks opened up the match with a game one victory by 10 points. Junior defensive specialist Destiny Morgan extended the lead 13-5 after serving seven unanswered points.

Senior Kaitlyn Reed was able to get in on the action with a kill with the assist from senior  Kyla Weeks to make the score 15-9. Senior libero Brooklyn Noll would then add an ace followed by a kill from outside hitter Madison Sigmon to make the score 17-9.

Senior outside hitter Kinsey Smith and senior middle blocker Cayman Sutton would then put the first game away with a kill each.

The Ladynecks would then hit a little bump in the road in game 2, dropping the set 15-25. The Cardinals used many top-spin serves during game 2 to come out on top.

After adjusting to the serves, the Ladynecks were able to take game 3. After six different lead swaps, Smith hammered home a kill to make the score 21-18, and then Sutton would finish the game with four consecutive winners.

Noll took over at the service line during game four. She aided 6 winners from the service line, while Sutton added a couple kills, Weeks a pushover, and Sigmon a block. They would go on to win the game 25-13 and the match three sets to one.

Noll and sophomore outside hitter Sam McGrew finished with 11 digs apiece. Freshman defensive specialist added nine digs. Sigmon and Reed both had seven kills, Sutton six and Smith five. Kyla Weeks added 23 assists.