The Gauger

Students attend Harvest Festival to see peers’ work

Standing by their fire pit, seniors Katie Warren and Abby Hinton talk about their project.

Jesse Gaut

Jesse Gaut

Addie Miller, Staff Writer

On Friday, October 27th, the ag-mech students from White Oak High School traveled to the Maude Cobb center in Longview for the opportunity for a hands-on experience at the annual Harvest Festival.

“I had never been close to cows, goats, or pigs before, so to be able to touch and interact with them was really neat,” Baylee Lyke said. “It was interesting to watch how they judged the goats as well as being able to talk to individuals in the event and finding out how much time and effort went into the animals.”

The Harvest Festival was not only filled with all different breeds of animals but also projects that the students had personally created.

“I liked looking at all the projects that were made by our school and all the other activities,” Dylon Jones said. “I could clearly tell they definitely worked hard to get their projects as advanced and detailed as they were out there.

The students were able to watch live animal showings as well as seeing the animals and their owners behind the showing.

“I think it was a good thing we got to take a trip to the festival so we could see how much hard work that FFA members put into their animals,” Casey Banks said. “I enjoyed watching the students show their goats and seeing how happy the winners were about all their hard work paying off.”

The ag students were studying the different breeds of animals as well as the showing skills for weeks in class before attending the festival so they had an idea of what was going on.

I think it is good for students to take the information they have learned in class and get to apply it to the real world, “Mr. Freeman said. “Having students who may not always get to experience agriculture see it first hand is really exciting and interesting to see.”