The Gauger

Cats Versus Dogs

A man’s best friend or a fabulous feline

Posing for the selfie with his cat, Grumpy, Yaroub talks about his favorite memory he has had with his cat. “Dressing my cats up as santa claus for halloween was pretty unforgettable,” Yaroub said. “Finding Grumpy in my bathroom and cabinet drawer was pretty funny too.”

Lauren Hinch, Staff Writer

Hairballs or stray hairs is not what you want to see when you walk into your living room but for people who have pets, they understand that it’s worth it.

Having three cats, Yaroub believes that cats aren’t as high-maintenance as dogs.

“Costs can be much cheaper with cats,” Yaroub said. “They are less maintenance, quieter, majority of the time enjoy being indoors, don’t require too much space, and they keep vermin away (pests like mice, roaches, etc).”

However, Yaroub once had dogs.

“It was alright I guess. My parents and I were just always busy,” Yaroub said. “With school it was more harming to the dog than it was me.”

Although the different responsibilities affects which animal is liked better, the odor is also a big factor.

“I hate how dogs can smell so bad in a very brief time period,” Yaroub said. “I hate how loud and obnoxious and destructive they can be when they are all roused up.”

Cats seem to outweigh dogs in the long run based on their best traits in Yaroub’s eyes.

“Cats seem to do a lot of stuff their stuff so you don’t have to do much for them,” Yaroub said. “The best parts of a cat is that they can self clean, sleep a lot, freaking adorable, very soft, and self sufficient.”

On the other side, dogs are seen to rule the world in Aubrey’s eyes.

“To me, dogs are more personal animal than cats and it’s easier to form a bond with them, especially if you’ve had them since they were young,” Aubrey said. “Having Sadie always provides entertainment because she’s still really young and super hyper. She is constantly keeping me on my toes.”

Similar to Yaroub, Aubrey also had a pet of the opposite kind to conclude why she likes dogs more.

“I do have a cat, and it’s more of a love-hate relationship,” Aubrey said. “She won’t let anyone touch her unless she wants to be picked up and put by her food bowl. Then she allows you to pet her while she’s eating… kind of like slave work.”

Just like tics, cats have their own way of being annoying and irritating to Aubrey.

“One thing I really dislike about cats is how they won’t let pet them for a long time,” Aubrey said. “I I try to pet her she can get ticked off and start scratching me. ”

In the end, dogs seem to outshine cats by their ability to be loyal to their owners.

“When unknown people come around they try and protect their own,” Aubrey said. “Overall, I believe that dogs just do more with their lives. They seem to have more fun and can interact with people better.”

Showing her love for her “baby” Sadie, Aubrey explains what went down one morning when she was getting ready for school, “I was walking into my bedroom while brushing my teeth when Sadie jumped,” Aubrey said. “I was videoing on Snapchat and when I put the camera on her she looked at me and just burped. It was the first time I heard her do that and the fact I had it on video made it even greater.”