The Gauger

Spinning into State

WOHS Majorettes are on their way to Pflugerville

After announcing who was all advancing to state, the girls went to eat together at Chili's for the special occasion. “I always look forward when the whole line gets to go out together,” sophomore Katelyn Jester said. “I like when we go out because of the funny moments we get to share. We are not only friends we are practically family.”

Lauren Hinch, Staff Writer

On November 11th several members from the WOHS auxiliary line went to Pine Tree High School to compete at the Region level for UIL twirl.

All of the twirlers, if they want to, take a solo to UIL twirling solo and ensemble,” sophomore Kylie Pepper said. “We each take our turns performing for the judges and wait to receive our scores, if we get a one then we advance to state UIL twirling in Austin.”

UIL begins for all high school twirlers, even including freshman.

“Performing for the first time at UIL twirling was a great new experience for me,” freshman Gracie Shellhorse said. “I have been to many competitions before so I treated it just as I have in the past.”

Each performance must score a one in order to advance to state.  

“I think that was the best I ever did my solo,” freshman Gracie Shellhorse. “I was so excited when Mrs. Jennings told me I made a one. I knew all the hard work and practice was worth it.”

Even though performing is scary the girls overall have a good time.

“I think my favorite part will be watching all of my friends perform,” freshman Katelyn Eason said.

Twirling isn’t an easy sport so it takes lots of preparations to get ready for UIL.

“I practiced the tricks over and over until I get them down,“ freshman Katelyn Eason said. “I think that they should know that you need to have confidence in yourself and have a lot of patience.”

UIL is special for twirlers because it is another opportunity to perform outside of friday night halftimes and pep rallies.

“I wanted to practice harder for UIL because I know how exciting it was to make it to state,” sophomore Kylie Pepper said. “I got to go last year, so I wanted to feel that way again.”

UIL is based upon solos and ensembles and WOHS takes both every year.

“Being in an ensemble is different because you are working with a group of people instead of one,” sophomore Taylor Gattis said. “It’s more fun to be in a group because you get to learn to work with others.”

Once a twirler has a year under their belt the process seems to go easier.

“Since I have already competed in that gym it wasn’t that bad because there isn’t a huge crowd like friday nights,” sophomore Taylor Gattis. “ Also it helps that i’ve had experience because I am able to help the freshman.”

Since there is no competition for flags through UIL they come and support the twirlers every year.

“Waking up voluntarily at 7 on a Saturday definitely wasn’t a waste,” senior Makenna said. “This year it seems like we haven’t been able to really bond together as a line like we have before so I felt like that little outing was good for us. I loved seeing them walk in after warming up and all their jaws fall to the floor at seeing their little cheer section, it makes us feel appreciated.”

“It’s always fun going to watch them because I know I couldn’t do half of what they do,” senior Makenna Gibbs said. “Also, I’d like to think that if the flags had a UIL competition, the twirlers would be there to support us. We’re a sisterhood, so of course we are going to support each other.”

But in the end the UIL competition wasn’t just about twirling and instead was a bonding experience for the girls.